Friday, October 24, 2008

WHY IS THERE NEVER A PEN WHEN YOU NEED ONE?

I must confess this blogging thing isn’t as easy as it seems. If you think it is, you are sadly mistaken. It SHOULD be easy but IT IS NOT. I get a lot of my inspirations about what I want to share when I’m “out”. Well, that makes sense. When I’m planted in front of my computer, not so much. I just stare at the screen. So I keep a legal pad with me at all times but I swear someone eats my pen(s). It must be the menehune [pronounced meh-neh-HOO-neh]. Definition: Menehune are said to be a people, sometimes described as dwarfs in size, who live in the deep forests and hidden valleys of the Hawaiian islands, far from the eyes of normal humans.
Which that brings me to the real reason for this entry – the ever so lovely and lilting Hawaiian language. When we first arrived here I was fascinated by the language and how to pronounce the words. I practiced with street signs. And I wondered if that was common practice.
Aloha. At first it wasn’t “natural” to greet anyone (in person or in writing) with Aloha. It becomes second nature. More importantly, LIVING with Aloha. It becomes an essential part of life. This is exactly what I came here for.
And Mahalo - thank you. Almost makes ya feel bi-lingual. Pau, done. Which is what I am for now. Aloha. (PS I wish people would post comments. Tell me whatcha think! Feedback please.)

No comments: