Wednesday, September 24, 2008

HOW IT ALL STARTED

I never thought I would EVER EVER " blog ". Why would I want to do that? I live in paradise. I have "other" things to do. But this is not about me. This is about the castle. And it's about paradise. So basically I'm blogging to share paradise.



IT ALL STARTS WITH A LOT. THIS IS A PICTURE OF OUR OCEAN VIEW LOT. SORRY IT'S A LITTLE DARK. THAT YELLOW THING IS THE "CESSPOOL". WE HAD TO DYNAMITE THE LAVA TO GET IT INTO THE GROUND!



AND THEN THERE ARE PLANS. THIS IS OURS:


BG (background):

We (my husband and I) are building a castle in paradise (well it's my husband who actually, physically, is building it). Everyone asks: "why a castle?" Ask my husband. It think it’s because: A man's home... is... his castle. That's first of all. Second of all, that is his canvas. His creative expression. We wanted a home that would be a "conversation piece". Something that would be fun and exciting to share.

For me it wasn't easy leaving the mainland to move here. Well, in some ways it was easy and in some ways it was uneasy. But when you discover you are an "island child" (as we affectionately call it), you have no choice. You come to the islands, you don't want to leave. So we did.

That was 2001. Right after the attacks. We prayed for the right property and our prayers were answered.
180 degree view of the ocean. And no one could build in front of us.

Here, when people get a piece of property, typically they live in a tent on the property as they build. So that’s what we did. We started with a little structure that we decided could eventually become the garage after we "gathered" enough money to build what would be our “dream” home, a bed and breakfast or a vacation rental. Something we could share.

FRAMING THE GARAGE


ATTENTION TO (DOOR) DETAIL

AND THIS IS HOW IT LOOKS TODAY

We're also building the castleinhawaii website as we build the bed and breakfast.

Please take a moment to check it out: www.castleinhawaii.com

Love to hear from you what you think about the website.. Love it? Hate it? Why??


No comments: